freetds - Re: FreeTDS with unixODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS with unixODBC
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:52:04 -0400

On 19 Sep 2002 23:16:02 -0400, "J Kevin Martineau"
<kevinmartineau AT senets.com> wrote:

> Using the verbose mode I get the additional error:
>
> [unixODBC]tds_connect failed

"Could not SQLConnect" because "tds_connect failed"? What, the Microsoft
School of error messages? Er, do you think we should point out that not
everyone would necessary agree with their definition of verbose?
</harumph>

Kevin, I think your best bet would be to try turning on logging. In the
FreeTDS log, you'll see the connection attempt (if attempt there be)
including username and password. Probably you'll see something in there
unbecoming of a server. If not, post here and be amazed at our powers of
speculation.

I don't use ODBC myself, but I might be able to help you narrow down
what's going on.

Can anyone speak to the quality of our ODBC error handling? The model is
very different from dblib and ctlib. The app AIUI is supposed to notice
an error return code, and call another function to determine the nature of
the error. Do we support that, at login?

Regards,