freetds - Re: Starting to use FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Alex Hornby <alex AT anvil.co.uk>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Starting to use FreeTDS
  • Date: 12 Sep 2002 12:17:06 +0100

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 10:39, Magnus Ahl wrote:
> We have earlier tried various ODBC drivers, both with MySQL and other
> RDBMS, but alas, the extra configuration and drop in efficiency really
> made us want to use fast, native connections to databases using
> libraries like libmysql and libtds.
>

> Infogate AB Magnus.Ahl AT infogate.se
> Storgatan 29 tel: 035-171970
> Box 345 mobil: 702-118265
> 301 08 Halmstad www.infogate.se

For commercial databases/ODBC drivers the driver vendor can make a big
difference.

For ODBC to Sybase we found that one driver was almost 2 times faster
than its competitor at returning results.

BTW We found libodbc++ to be an excellent C++ interface to ODBC as well.
It is modelled on JDBC. Unfortunately the freetds ODBC driver doesn't
support all the functions necessary for libodbc++ yet.

Cheers,
Alex.