freetds - Release 0.60 posted & published. Breathe.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Release 0.60 posted & published. Breathe.
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:54:22 -0400

All,

We released FreeTDS 0.60 on Wednesday. Announcements were made to Brian's
usual haunts, and tarballs posted to ibiblio and sf. Kudos to Frediano,
who was instrumental in getting the last Makefile stuff fixed up, and was
first to test the release. And to Brian, who despite imminent secondary
fatherhood, was very good at holding my hand and testing each broken rc
attempt. :/

I'd also like to thank the people who sent problem reports and patiently
tested our patches. Clear problem reports are the single most helpful
feedback we get. OK, maybe cases of wine would be more helpful, I don't
know; I'd have to get one first to compare. Might depend on the
selection. Oh, sorry, what was I saying? Right. Thanks for the PRs. No
one knows everything, except collectively.

Now, perhaps, we can get back to fun. From the sounds of things,
srd/tds/*.c is in for some change, if for no other reason than that 4.2
brought down Brian's Sybase 12.5 server.

I will try to coalesce the wishlists into coherency when I've got some of
my own (coherency, that is). Maybe this weekend. Then I'll post it to sf
tasks, as Brian suggested.

Now that I've got one release under my belt, next time I'll have a better
idea what's involved and will have done it before. That means we could
try out this "early and often" notion and see what gives.

If things continue apace (and if anything I think we're seeing faster and
faster development) I'd like to suggest we think in terms of 0.61 in
January. There's some ripping apart we're going to do, reformatting the
code with indent(1), better msg/error handling, UCS-2/UTF-8 support.
Those things alone would warrant a point release.

I suggested a few months back that perhaps we should enumerate the API
calls and number FreeTDS releases according to the completeness of the
implementation. We'll see how fast I can count.

Onward with ars tabula datae.