freetds - Re: rc1 - broken ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: freddyz77 AT tin.it
  • Subject: Re: rc1 - broken ??
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:52:30 -0400

On 09 Sep 2002 13:36:06 +0200, "Frediano Ziglio" <freddyz77 AT tin.it> wrote:

> I downloaded rc1 from sf (tried 2 different mirror). Tar give an error,
> configure end with error...
> I downloaded rc1 from ibiblio. Tar give an error too but configure work.
> Later, compiling make stop with this error:
>
> Making all in doc
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/freddy/tmp/freetds-20020908/doc'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `freebcp.txt', needed by
> `freebcp.1'. Stop.make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/freddy/tmp/freetds-20020908/doc'

Frediano,

Blech. It looks like I made a fine mess of things.

All the magic lies in the new doc/Makefile.am. What's supposed to happen:

1. "freebcp.txt" is in cvs
2. "txt2man" is on a cvs user's machine
3. "freebcp.1" is produced by the doc/Makefile
4. "freebcp.1" is included in the distribution tarball.

In effect, I want freebcp.txt, tsql.txt, and userguide.sgml to be
optionally buildable for the CVS developers, and I want their outputs
included in the distribution tarballs. As you'll note, the documentation
is different from the rest of the source tree, because the documentation
"source code" is not what we want to include in the tarball.

If I didn't care about "make install", I could just add the man pages to
EXTRA_DIST.

The reason for creating doc/Makefile.am in the first place was to have the
configure script generate makefiles such that "make install" would copy
the man pages to PREFIX/man/man1. Eventually, I'd like it to install the
UG to PREFIX/share/freetds/userguide/, but I'm completely at sea about how
to make that happen.

I will try to do a better job tonight. Suggestions naturally welcome. :)