freetds - Re: CVS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: freddyz77 AT tin.it
  • Subject: Re: CVS
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 02:47:39 -0400

On 09 Sep 2002 08:25:29 +0200, "Frediano Ziglio" <freddyz77 AT tin.it> wrote:

> I just update my CVS version and rebuild but some build problem raise:
>
> make
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/freddy/cpp/freetds/freetds/doc'
> ./txt2man -P FreeTDS -t FreeTDS -r 0.60 freebcp.txt >freebcp.1
> /bin/sh: ./txt2man: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [freebcp.1] Error 127
>
> There is not txt2man in CVS dir.. remember execute permission before
> commit (I often made this error...)

I should do this differently, perhaps. You need txt2man:

http://mvertes.free.fr/

or to make two empty files (as you did). cf. doc/README.

> After do make 2 time it create 2 empty file (freebcp.1 and tsql.1)
>
> make dist
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `doc/userguide.tgz', needed by
> `distdir'. Stop.
>
> I think problem is in main Makefile.am doc distribution file should now
> be placed in doc/Makefile.am.

No, just "cd doc; touch userguide.tgz". You haven't created the file, and
"make dist" won't do it for you.

> Location of docbook.dsl is not constant. My is
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.64/html/docbook.dsl... this
> cause dist to fail too..

I don't intend CVS users to be able to process sgml or build the
documentation. But, if you have jade etc., it would be nice if it did, I
guess. Takes awhile, though.

I am open to ways to generalize this. My intention was:

1. "cd doc; make html" would build the userguide with jade.
2. "cd doc; make all" would not require jade, would require txt2man,
trivial.
3. tarball users wouldn't be expected to have txt2man, would get *.1 man
pages instead.

I think I failed on all counts.
The idea was that you wouldn't want to regenerate the html whenever the UG
changed, and might not have the tools to do so anyway. So, "make all" in
the doc directory doesn't do very much. In particular, it skips the html
generation.

Thanks for being the first one to try it out.

--jkl

  • CVS, Frediano Ziglio, 09/09/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: CVS, James K . Lowden, 09/09/2002