freetds - Re: Test of domain logins

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Eric Deutsch" <edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Test of domain logins
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:45:24 -0700

> From: Frediano Ziglio [mailto:freddyz77 AT tin.it]
>
> Il mer, 2002-09-04 alle 02:36, Eric Deutsch ha scritto:
> >
> > Hi, still kickin' the tires... I tried for the first time using
domain
> > logins to connect from Linux to SQL Server 2000 on a W2k domain
(native
> > mode, I think).
> >
> > I set my freetds.conf to try domain logins and set the domain, and
> > voila, it worked, splendid!
> >

> Very happy. Is "try domain login" I suppose...

right.

> > Only problem is, now regular SQL Server accounts no longer work. I
do
> > still have try server login set to yes, but when I try to use a
regular
> > account, I get:
> >
> > Error 18452 (Server message number=18452 severity=14 state=1 line=0
> > text=Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a
> > trusted SQL Server connection.)
> >
> > If I turn off domain logins, then the regular account works again.
So,
> > setting try domain login appears to have the effect of disallowing
> > server logins, which is not the desired outcome, I suspect.
>
> Yes, is true.
> libtds must know what type of logon to use...
> Even on MS you must set this in DSN...
> You must decide before...
> Anyone think there is a way to handle this?

In the freetds.conf file itself the implication is that it if both login
types are set, a domain login will be tried first and then if that
fails, a server login will be attempted. This sounds like a great way
to do things. Is this not what is currently implemented? From my
freetds.conf:

# Database server login method, if both server and domain
# logins are enabled, domain login is tried first if a domain
# is specified, and if that fails the server login will be used.
try server login = yes
try domain login = yes