freetds - Re: Cancel problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cancel problem
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:13:22 +0200

> The current code will handle a TDS_DONE with cancel message
> anywhere in
> the stream. tds_process_cancel will read the stream until it
> sees it, it
> doesn't ditch whole packets, but reads the PDU's. TDS_DONE
> w/ cancel flag
> is guarenteed to be the last PDU of that stream received.

Good!
So even this problem is solved.
I think we should add a test for this stuff.

> What happens currently, is this: The cancel is sent and the stream is
> read until we get a done w/ cancel. Nice and simple. The
> tds_read_packet
> semantics were broken because we couldn't tell the difference
> between a
> error and zero length payload. With the cancelling state we
> have problems
> with streams like:
>
> --packet 1
> result set 1
> row
> row
> row
> --cancel sent
> -- packet 2
> row
> row
> done (no cancel)
> result set 2
> row
> row
> --packet 3
> row
> done (with cancel)

This should be impossible
Server should return
--packet 3
only-header cancel acknowledge
--packet 4
done (with cancel)

> The cancel code needs to understand the stream in order to
> skip the rows.
>
> So skipping full packets is not an option afaict.

Skipping packet is what documentation say...
However... it work!

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."