freetds - RE: ODBC and column names

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Varley, David(CBorn at Alcoa)" <David.Varley AT alcoa.com.au>
  • To: 'TDS Development Group' <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: ODBC and column names
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:42:32 +0800

Identifier case is an attribute on SQL Server, defaulting to MIXED.
This has caused me some pain in the past, as the DTS tools seem to
randomly mix case rather than keeping as returned by queries. This
works on SQL server transfers, but bombs out when trying to use the
tools for transfers between SQL Server and case sensitive databases
such as PostgresQL.

Poor coding by Microsoft, or a deliberate ploy to reduce interoperability?
You be the judge! :)

>From SQL Server Books Online:

sp_server_info
--------------
Returns a list of attribute names and matching values for Microsoft® SQL
Server(tm), the database gateway, or the underlying data source.

Syntax:
sp_server_info [[@attribute_id =] 'attribute_id']

ATTRIBUTE_ID: 16
ATTRIBUTE_NAME: IDENTIFIER_CASE
stored procedure names) in the database (the case of the objects in the
system catalogs).
ATTRIBUTE_VALUE: MIXED or SENSITIVE, depending upon whether SQL Server is
set to case-sensitive or case-insensitive.

Default value is MIXED

David