freetds - Re: Indentation problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Indentation problem
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:12:43 -0400

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:59:40 +0200 , ZIGLIO Frediano
<Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it> wrote:

> > Instead, I suggest that a run of indent is made after a release and
> > before development on the next version.

> I don't understand.
> Do you mean make a release, use indent and commit to CVS ?
> I think once time we use indent a time we should always use indent...

Yes, James means: release, indent, commit. He's saying it's easier to
find differences during development if "cvs diff" doesn't yield hundreds
of lines of format-only changes.

I'm happy to see formatting changes happen during the patching/development
process, for our sitution at present. I think our biggest problem is
leading tabs, which diff can ignore. And I'd rather release clean code,
because source code is what we offer the world, and because clean code is
attractive to anyone who might be interested in contributing.

Frediano, if you want to put together a .indent.pro file for us, that
would be a good step. Then all we need to agree on is when to use it.