freetds - Problems with FreeTDS 0.51 and SQL Server 6.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ido Dubrawsky" <idubraws AT cisco.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Problems with FreeTDS 0.51 and SQL Server 6.5
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:26:33 -0400

I have been extensively modifying the linsql code as well as the sqlat
toolset code for our own use. I appear to have discovered an interesting
bug in the 0.51 code when testing against a MS SQL Server 6.5 database.
My environment is as follows:

TDS version used: 4.2 (compiled FreeTDS with --tds-ver=4.2)
bash shell
Linux Mandrake 8.1 (Kernel 2.4.18)

When I run the linsql or sqlat tools against a MS SQL 7.0 server in our
test lab everything works fine. However, against a SQL Server 6.5
database the SQL commands like 'select loginname from syslogins' etc don't
return any data. The tool sqldirtree (from sqlat tools) gives me the
directory tree...however the name of each directory is truncated to a
single character. Some things do work fine. The sqldumplogins tools does
dump out the users in the SQL database. I can get linsql to connect and
provide me access to the stored procedure 'xp_cmdshell' on both the SQL
7.0 and the SQL 6.5 servers. However, the SQL Server 6.5 system won't
execute any SQL commands from the linsql command line while the SQL Server
7.0 system will. Has anyone seen similar behavior before? Is this simply
due to SQL Server 6.5 being severely broken? Any help would be
appreciated as I'm down to sniffing packets to see what could be the
problem.

Thanks,
Ido Dubrawsky
Network Security Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.
idubraws AT cisco.com

  • Problems with FreeTDS 0.51 and SQL Server 6.5, Ido Dubrawsky, 07/16/2002