freetds - Re: dbconvert bugs

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dbconvert bugs
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 06:11:46 -0400

Brian,

> > Bug 3: Because tds_convert has no dbproc, it can't call the proc's error
> > handler. There are many many places it should call the error handler:
> > buffer overflows, null destination pointers, inconvertibility. This
> > touches
> > on Frediano's #578095, and is too big a problem, unfortunately, to deal
> > with
> > in 0.60.
>
> Not true. You can call tds_client_msg(). The tds layer calls the API's
> handler (which unlike the clients handlers are always installed), the
> API's handler is then responsible for deciding which application handler
> gets called, typically by casting the tds->parent back to a API specific
> structure (ala DBPROCESS).
> So no, TDS can not call a application handler but he can call the
> installed API message handler which can.

OK, I'm looking to put error handling into tds_convert...
Now I've hit a problem. tds_convert is not passed in the TDSSOCKET, which
tds_client_msg() requires.
I started to change things so that it could be passed in.
No problem with dbconvert(). This is passed in dbproc, whence we can get
the TDSSOCKET.
I think we have a problem with cs_convert(). This is not passed anything
that allows me to get at a TDSSOCKET, so I cant pass it into
tds_convert...

Any ideas about where to go from here ?

Bill