freetds - killer query

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: killer query
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:25:54 -0400

All,

The attached query tests FreeTDS's ability to talk to MS SQL Server 7. I've
tested it with MS's isql (which handles all cases) and sqsh, which handles
all but three.

Of course, more exhaustive would be an NxN query, converting all types to
all (available) others.

In sqsh:

* selecting a "bit" type in sqsh causes FreeTDS to hang after unknown
markers.

* selecting a "uniqueidentifier" type yields:

Attempting to convert unknown source type 36
Attempting to convert unknown source type -1

... and nothing.

* selecting a "varbinary" type, at least on my Alpha box, yields OK
data after this OS message:

Unaligned access pid=27604 <sqsh> va=0x14002cd8e \
pc=0x120044160 ra=0x120038ca0 inst=0xa2430000

which may or may not be an artifact of my environment. YMMV.

I thought bits were solved. I think we've seen uniqueidentifier problems on
the list before. And I can't imagine how varbinary differs from image, but
it clearly does.

Your friendly QA department,

--jkl

<<all_types>>