freetds - Re: Error handling

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Error handling
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:46:44 -0400

OK. I have another issue for you to consider, too, while the design is
young.

bcp has three output streams: stdout (n rows copied), stderr, and -e. An
unfortunate choice on the part of Sybase was that unless -e was set, no data
parsing error feedback was offered. You'd see just "error parsing line 6"
or somesuch, but no details.

I think it would be better (and more free-software-like, FWIW) to just splat
the would-be -e error file data to stderr in the event there's an error and
no -e filename has been set.

The reason I mention this is that it implies that the -e filehandle is a dup
(?) of stderr unless a -e filename is given and successfully opened.

> BTW User guide follows by
> separate email to you...

thanks++; I'm wrestling with the UG, and at the moment it's not clear who's
winning. We'll know on Monday.