freetds - Re: write failed in tds_write_packet

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: SMASKELL AT UP.COM
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: write failed in tds_write_packet
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:38:49 -0500

> Here are error messages show at var/log/httpd-errror.log
> [TDS: Write failed in tds_write_packet
> Error: 32 (Broken pipe)]
>
> I can connect to SQL server normally
> but after 2 or 3 days the web server will have error like above ..
> (and when I used "top" to see the httpd CPU Time it always used
> over 90% )
>

> who can tell me Why???? It's bother me for a long time.....
> and anyone has solution for this ?

I posted a comment to this list about high CPU utilization after a broken
connection. I never saw any comments but it appears that a change was made
sometime in the nightly builds to check for a read() return value of 0,
which should fix the CPU utilization problem. As to why you're TCP
connection is breaking, I can't answer that. The (Broken Pipe) message is
indicating that the TCP connection was being written to but since the
socket was closed (presumably by the other end) the OS sent a SIGPIPE
message. You might want to check the server side for reboots/errors.

Scott