freetds - RE: Patch: how to post?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Patch: how to post?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:03:33 -0400

Frediano,

Sorry for the confusion.

Please post patches to SourceForge, and send mail to the list explaining
what it does. I think it's a good idea to include the "Request ID" that
SourceForge assigns it in your message.

Patches posted to sf are less likely to "slip through the cracks" i.e., be
accidentally ignored, because they're collected all in one place. That
might be what happened to yours.

People who read a lot of mail sometimes don't notice or remember to reply to
a particular message. I might see your patch and say to myself "I should
take a look at that when I'm done checking my mail"; then the phone rings
and the spaghetti boils over and soon enough it's forgotten.

If you don't hear from anyone about your patch in a week or so, I'd send
another message to the list asking about the status of "patch 5943985". I'm
not saying every patch will go in, but I do think you deserve the courtesy
at least of hearing from someone about what's going to happen to it or what
changes it needs. It helps if you attach your earlier message, which might
have been deleted or otherwise mis-filed.

Besides not getting lost, another advantage of sf-posted patches is that
sometimes they can be applied by a clever-but-conservative user to the
release (rather than CVS) version. For instance, we get queries here from
time to time about the segfault-on-login problem, caused by failed
authentication at login (and bad message handling) in 0.53. It's fixed in
CVS, but some people are reluctant to use the "developer's version" of the
code. If the patch were posted to sf, our hypothetical clever person might
be able to apply it to his release code. Or, at the very least, he'd be
able to see from the description that the problem had been identified and
fixed, thus enabling him to solve the problem himself (either by using the
current snapshot or by creating a valid login on the server).

The UG and FAQ still reflect our pre-sourgeforge state, when this list was
the only practical vehicle for publishing patches. It's time I updated them
on that score.

Thank you for your contributions. Happy compilations.

Regards,

--jkl

  • Patch: how to post?, ZIGLIO Frediano, 06/06/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: Patch: how to post?, Lowden, James K, 06/06/2002