freetds - to make or to gmake

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: to make or to gmake
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 14:42:42 -0400

All,

There's a test in configure to prevent people from using BSD (or other)
make, because gmake is required to build FreeTDS. I run NetBSD, and have
both make and gmake installed. To build FreeTDS, I commented out the
guard code in configure, and everything works fine.

But that's not a good solution in general.

Can one of you autoconf gurus tell me how to make this general? I spent
about 30 minutes chasing one variable after another, before I punted and
commented out the code. Basically, there should be someway to tell
configure that the "make" it should be checking for is named "gmake" I'm
imagining:

./configure --with-make=gmake

or somesuch.

I doubt I'm the very first guy to bump into this, so I'm sure there's a
general solution to those in the know.

thanks.