freetds - RE: first patch to odbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT omnitelvodafone.it>
  • To: "Freetds (E-mail)" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: first patch to odbc
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:59:12 +0200

> Thank you for your patch. I reviewed it carefully.
>
> I'm one of the CVS committers, but I'm not understanding the patch so
> I'll leave it to our leader Brian to apply. However, I thought you
> might be interested in why I don't understand it, and why I
> decided not
> to apply it. Some of my reasons are that I lack experience with the
> code, but there are other reasons.
>
> - In SQLMoreResults() you check for HSTMT twice at the start of the
> function. I think this is wrong.

Opps... I made an error merge some fix (first time I patched 0.53,
not current)

> - Many functions you changed so that they return failure instead of
> success. You didn't say why this change was done. Do you think this
> might break existing code in other projects?
>
> - You didn't include a patch to ChangeLog, NEWS or to any
> documentation
> files. Whoever applies the patch for you would have to go through all
> other files to see if they have to be changed.

Ok, written in ChangeLog. Reported for ML convenience:
* src/odbc/odbc.c:
- changed return of unimplemented function from SQL_SUCCESS to
SQL_ERROR. User program assume that result are successfully set on
SQL_SUCCESS so user program can read garbage data or do other strange
assuming. Not changed result for function like SQLDisconnect that
work in the same way
- implemented SQLMoreResults and SQLNumParams
- return SQL_ERROR on memory allocation failure
- check all statement entering in functions
- removed some compiler warning due to conversion
- improved SQLFreeStmt (support all type of free) and fix (not unbind
on SQL_CLOSE)
- added some type handling (like SYBINTN) converting from tds to odbc
- fixed some strange indentation

>- The use of // as a comment marker is not K&R.

I use mainly C++, sometime ANSI C, what are main differency from K&R and
ANSI ?

>I suggest you have a read of this chapter:
>
>http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/patching.html

Readed

I updated my patch with your suggestion.

bye