freetds - Re: developing

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: developing
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:42:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, ZIGLIO Frediano wrote:

> Hi,
> this is my first mail in this mailing-list.
welcome!

> I want just to port some program that access to mssql to Linux. Those
> program are written in C++ using ODBC. I looked at driver code but there are
> many lacks (error handling, multiple recordset, and many other)... so I'm
> filling some blank :) I've already added some fix (see patch on
> sourceforge). But how to integrate in the developing team? Are there
> developing coding style, some roadmap (person A is developing X, person B is
> developing Y and so on) ? Can I have write access to CVS ?
The usual route is to post patches to the mailing list and let folks take
a look at them. If they look good someone will commit them to CVS.

There is no real roadmap other than just fixes bug reports or implementing
missing features as they show up. I don't believe we will ever implement
every little nuance of OpenClient (dblib/ctlib) just because much of it
isn't commonly used. With ODBC, full compliance may be a worthwhile goal.

The coding style is K&R with tabs.

Generally, if someone is submitting so many good patches that they become
a pain, we grant them CVS ;-)

> Other question: I readed many mail on PHP, Perl and other languages that use
> successfully freetds but what library interface (dblit, ctlib or odbc) do
> they use?

I know people using all three APIs for PHP, Perl is generally DBD::Sybase
which uses ctlib. Although there's been some recent interest in using
DBD::ODBC because of the way it handles placeholder values.

> freddy77

Brian

  • developing, ZIGLIO Frediano, 04/08/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: developing, Brian Bruns, 04/08/2002
    • Re: developing, James Cameron, 04/08/2002