freetds - Re: Time for a new version?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Time for a new version?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:50:34 -0500

> After re-reading the LGPL, I see that the definition of 'source code'
> used there is not actually as broad as I thought it was, and we may be
> ok without an explicit exemption; I apologize if this was a false alarm.
>
> Still, there is at least one case where an exemption is needed, and
> that's in order to allow third-parties to take advantage of clause 3 of
> the LGPL ("you may opt to apply the terms of the GPL.."). In that case,
> clause 3 of the OpenSSL does conflict. It would be nice (though not, I
> think, necessary for anything people are doing today) to be able to
> incorporate FreeTDS into GPL works without having to worry about this
> license conflict.

I sent out a mass email to all people listed in the AUTHORS file asking
for agreement to the licensing change. A couple of the addresses are no
longer valid, so we may have to look at the work which those folks have
contributed and assess what to do. If you are on the list but did not
receive email please contact me.

Brian