freetds - Re: FreeTDS 0.53/ODBC - OpenVMS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Nick Gorham <nick AT easysoft.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS 0.53/ODBC - OpenVMS
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:15:50 +0000

"Craig A. Berry" wrote:

> At 6:07 PM -0500 3/19/02, Brian Bruns wrote:
> >
> >Granted that running it under the driver manager is the preferred way, but
> >it's hell to debug things loaded via shared libs. ;-) So, for
> >porting/debugging I'd go the direct linked route but once that's done run
> >it under the dm.
>
> Shouldn't make much difference to the OpenVMS debugger. You just
> have to set the image to the shareable image (aka dynamic library)
> you're interested in, assuming you've built it with debugging
> enabled. Getting a shareable image built in the first place is a
> different matter and it would almost certainly be easier to get a
> static port up and running first. Please post progress, Ruslan, as
> this is something I'm interested in as well.

Part of the reason I suggested looking at the unixODBC README.VMS is that
allows you
to create working drivers, for Postgres, that way at least you will be sure
of the
creation of sharable images. And the dltest.exe will allow you to test your
driver
is loadable. When we were doing the port, the biggest problem was getting the
exe
built so it could be loaded at run time.

It wasn't quite a mindless "use unixODBC" plug :-)

--
Nick Gorham
Easysoft Ltd