freetds - Re: ODBC/dblib,ctlib API's

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Pereira, Keith" <Pereirak AT CITIFINANCIAL.COM>
  • Subject: Re: ODBC/dblib,ctlib API's
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:22:49 -0600

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:14:09AM -0500, Pereira, Keith wrote:
> Does SQLServer/Sybase not respond in TDS when the API is ODBC ?

> I'm asking this because i'm wondering if the products like openlink
> (ODBC) software that has to be purchased ( the piece that sits on the SQL
> Server ), how does this piece recognize the responses from the Server ?

> Did they also do some reverse engineering type thing or do they have
> an agreement with MicroSoft ?

ODBC describes a common API that can be used to access databases of many
different types; it usually has little bearing on the protocol used to
talk to database servers.

In the case of OpenLink, it turns out (based on comments posted to the
mailing list here) that they're using some FreeTDS code to talk to MS
SQL Server.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

  • ODBC/dblib,ctlib API's, Pereira, Keith, 03/13/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: ODBC/dblib,ctlib API's, Steve Langasek, 03/13/2002