freetds - Re: endian patch and Re: Strange server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chris Eleveld <ihermit2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: endian patch and Re: Strange server
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:44:42 -0800 (PST)

So if I understand correctly we should be working
towards something along the lines of:
1) speaking TDS version >= 7.0 do swaps because
the protocol is little endian only.
2) speaking to an MS server we should have emulate
little endian set and thus conditionally swap.
3) conditionalize all unconditional swaps to rules
1 and 2 because the TDS protocol some how
negotiates endianness?

And to throw another fly in the ointment would it
be worthwhile to move all endian checks to run time?

--- Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Michael Horowitz wrote:
>
> > Anyway, it seems that you have had a similar
> problem with the big endian
> > issue as me, so I wanted to chyme in with my
> experience with it. While
> > either of the fixes seems to work under specific
> configurations, I am not
> > sure what the final fix should be to make it work
> under all platforms and
> > with all types of SQL Servers both MS and Sybase.
> >
> > Do you have any other info that might help with
> this?
>
> What I would like to do, is remove the
> datetime/money swaps entirely. If
> you are using FreeTDS on a big endian box against MS
> SQL, use emulate
> little endian. Anything else works in bits and
> pieces here and there, but
> then breaks with the next service pack. It'll also
> simplify what is going
> on underneath anyway.
>
> Besides, TDS 7.0 is little endian only, and it
> doesn't appear that MS QA's
> big endian machines so it's a crap shoot trying to
> get it working.
>
> Brian
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as:
> [ihermit2 AT yahoo.com]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')