freetds - Re: Using SQL Query Analyser to replicate functionality

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Using SQL Query Analyser to replicate functionality
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:02:33 -0600

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 04:50:50PM -0800, Michael Peppler wrote:
> Caveat - I'm looking at this from the Sybase perspective - there may
> be differences with MS-SQL that I'm not aware of....

> > - what does the "exec sp_executesql N'" sequence mean?

> sp_executesql probably executes a dynamic piece of SQL. I doesn't
> quite make sense in this context, though.

> > - why are the literal strings segregated from the command?

> I'm guessing that it's because the literal strings are passed to
> sp_executesql to get executed. It's possible that the N'....'N bit
> gets preprocessed.

Isn't "nvarchar" the MS SQL anagram for a Unicode-wise varchar type?
This is what N'' suggests to me, an explicit cast to a unicode string
type. But for this to be true, Microsoft's SQL extensions would have to
be intuitive in some sense of the word, and my worldview doesn't
encompass such a concept, so nevermind. ;)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer