freetds - Re: how to connect to sybase ASE 11.9.2 on NT from php on linux!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: lchu <lchu AT 3point3.com>
  • Subject: Re: how to connect to sybase ASE 11.9.2 on NT from php on linux!
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:52:48 -0500

> lchu wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm in trouble with this issue for my website..
> if i'd like to use php on linux to connect to ASE11.9.2 on NT, what
> kind of things to install on NT and linux...
>
> if i install freeTDS and iodbc on linux, what else i can to config to
> connect to NT???
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

Welcome to FreeTDS. I know part of the answer to your question. Please
subscribe to the FreeTDS mailing list at
subscribe-freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu for more information.

You don't *need* iodbc to connect PHP to Sybase; it's just one option.
I recommend:

1. Build FreeTDS.
2. Build PHP, linking in the FreeTDS libraries.
3. Build SQSH, so you have a useful diagnostic tool.
4. Arrange your freetds.conf to describe the name & location of your ASE
server.
5. Issue a query in SQSH to test your setup.
6. Repeat 4 & 5 as necessary.
7. Put PHP to work.

All these steps are documented in the User Guide,
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/book1.htm. If you get
stuck/confused/frustrated, I encourage you to send your questions to the
list. You'll find the people there to be knowledgeable and helpful,
even patient. Everyone starts at the beginning, and not every path is
smooth.

One more thing. Although I personally don't mind, many people consider
it bad manners to mail questions directly to the named contributors
(before exhausting other avenues). Such messages are frequently
ignored, or worse. I assume you didn't know that, and I hope it's OK
that I mention it.

Lots of people use FreeTDS for websites. Good luck with yours.

Regards,

--jkl

  • Re: how to connect to sybase ASE 11.9.2 on NT from php on linux!, James K. Lowden, 11/10/2001