freetds - pre-connection callbacks and API breakage

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: pre-connection callbacks and API breakage
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:27:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I've fixed the problem of not being able to receive msg and error
callbacks prior to returning from tds_connect(), however the libtds API
was broken in the following ways to accomplish this.

. tds_connect() now takes a second parameter of 'parent' (ie dbproc).
. The call to tds_set_parent() is removed (although it doesn't hurt if it
is called repeatedly)
. Message handler functions in the CLIs are now passed the TDSSOCKET
structure and *not* the parent. The parent can then be referenced
and cast via tds->parent.

What this means in english is that you'll get a 'Login Failed' message
when trying to login with incorrect user/pass. Always handy.

We generally try not to break the libtds API because a few third party
projects depend on it, but in this case it was a necessary evil.

Cheers,

Brian

  • pre-connection callbacks and API breakage, Brian Bruns, 10/26/2001