freetds - Re: JDBC Driver for MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC Driver for MS SQL Server
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:00:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Nick Bellias wrote:

> Dear Friends,

> I am a java developer who tries to figure out if your Free TDS JDBC
> Driver for the MS SQL Server RDBMS is stable enough to use it in a
> production environment. I am using Apache, Tomcat and JBoss over a
> Windows 2000 Server SP2 platform for my web-java application server
> and a MS SQL Server 2000 SP1 again over a Windows 2000 Server SP2
> platform. Currently I am using the sun's JDBC-ODBC Bridge which
> proved to be quite unstable so far. Note that my system accepts over
> 20 simultaneous requests through Stateless Enterprise Java Beans
> that connect to the RDBMS. All EJB methods called open a number of
> over 4 or 5 database cursors.

Here's a quote from the FAQ:

Remember, this is not production software -- the README describes it
as a "sneak peek at an incomplete driver" -- so questions like "Is
this version stable enough for my mission-critical production
system?" aren't as appropriate as they would be in other contexts.
You're welcome to contribute to the project's work to help get
closer to that goal, though.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the subset of functionality which has
been implemented wouldn't meet your needs. But it does mean that you'll
have to make that determination yourself, by examining the driver and by
rigorous testing. "Examining the driver" might mean nothing more than
grepping through the source code for the strings "NotImplemented" and
"XXX". There are a number of people on the list who use the driver in a
production environment, but you'll have to decide for yourself whether
the driver fits your requirements (or, if it doesn't, how much work
you'll need to invest yourself to bridge the gap).

You should check into the SourceForge fork,[1] which has had more recent
work (the original freetds distribution hasn't been updated since this
past spring, AFAIK).

Hope this helps.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds/

--