freetds - Re: Connection Pooling

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Connection Pooling
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

The tds connection pooling is not what you'd traditionally think of as a
connection pool. It is a C program that acts as both a client and
server. The advantage of this is that connections can be pooled from a
number of processeses across several machines instead of just within one
process. It is located in src/pool of the FreeTDS C libraries
distribution. I takes a bit of hacking (you need to edit the header file
with your settings and compile), but I know of at least two people who are
running it currently. Code using the connection pool is no different that
code directly connecting to the dataserver, except the connect pool has
its own server name in the interfaces/freetds.conf file and clients attach
to that.

Brian

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Ravindra Sharma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have question about FreeTDS connection pooling. On FreeTDS website it is
> written that
>
> "The connection pooling code is extremely alpha right now, but I stress
> tested it and it held up well (After a few bug fixes ;-) "
>
> This tells me that connection pooling is supported in FreeTDS. I wanted
> sample code to use this feature. I understand that this must implicit.
>
> On other question, does it support Connection through DataSource? If so
> which class implements DataSource, I mean which DataSource class do I use
> to bind DataSource.
>
> -ravi

  • Connection Pooling, Ravindra Sharma, 10/04/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Connection Pooling, Brian Bruns, 10/04/2001