freetds - Re: JDBC Metadata - Please Help

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC Metadata - Please Help
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Paul Hopkins wrote:

> I posted the item below a while back but unfortunately never
> got a response. Since then I have got the latest JDBC source code
> and have compiled it myself. When I run this against SQL Server 2000
> I get the following SQLException:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Protocol confusion. Got a 0x79 packet
>
> has this been tested against 2000 or does it only support 7 or 6.5?

No clue here about the SS2000 support, as I don't have access to such a
beast at the moment. Perhaps since you do you will be able to track
down what the new server is doing differently and help make the driver
work with it.

I do notice one odd thing, though, trying your code against SQL Server
7.0. The getTables() method doesn't find the phSourcePerson table
unless the pattern includes the wildcards ('%phSourcePerson%') even
though the pattern parameter without the wildcards matches the returned
table name exactly.

Just a wild stab in the dark, but I wonder if the exception still occurs
if you include the wildcards for SQL Server 2000 (very likely it does,
but it's the only straw I can think of to grasp at right now).

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com