freetds - Re: calling sp_password store procedure failed

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: calling sp_password store procedure failed
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:46:11 -0700

Bob Kline writes:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Michael Peppler wrote:
>
> > Bob Kline writes:
> > >
> > > If by protocol you mean TDS, yes.
> >
> > Do you mean that TDS supports placeholders for stored proc calls?
> > If so does it query the server to check for datatypes, quoting, etc?
> >
> > (the Sybase C API doesn't handle this)
>
> I'm not the most knowledgable on the TDS protocol, so I'm fairly
> confident someone will step in and correct anything I mangle, but off
> the top of my head the answer to your first question is yes, TDS does
> support placeholders for stored procedure calls.

<snipped>

Thanks for the explanation.

The C API for placeholders lets you pass the SQL statement with the ?
(eg "select ... from foo where bar = ?") to ct_dynamic(), and you then
query the server to get the datatype for the parameter to pass. What
you are describing, I think, is what corresponds to the CS_RPC_CMD
request type in C - I've added this to the DBD::Sybase perl driver,
which when it sees "exec some_proc ?" will convert this from
CS_LANG_CMD to a CS_RPC_CMD and process the parameters via ct_param()
calls appropriately.

So I *think* we are talking about the same thing.

Michael
mpeppler AT peppler.org - mpeppler AT mbay.net