freetds - Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Unicode, UTF-8, and Greek
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 02:16:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, James K. Lowden wrote:

> For those whose eyes didn't glaze over when last we talked about Greek
> characters and UTF-8 and Unicode and etc., I'm forwarding a message from
> my friend Michael, who was born in Greece and is much too smart for his
> own good.

> I don't remember how our discussion was resolved, or even if indeed it
> had a useful conclusion, but I found Michael's explication helpful. I
> hope you do, too.

FWIW, I don't expect it to be necessary to directly support many of the
encodings mentioned below. On Linux, the only two encodings you can expect
client apps to use for Greek are ISO-8859-7 and UTF-8. It's very much not our
problem what encodings other client apps use when talking to the server -- our
only concern is being able to provide our calling app with data in one of
these two character sets, either by requesting this encoding from the server
or by using iconv to convert the data on the client side.

The problem, incidentally, applies to other *Latin*-based character sets as
well; only latin1 (Western Europe) is safe, having the privilege of being
codepoint-compatible with Unicode.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer