freetds - Re: RPMs for upcoming release

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Rich Greenwood <rcgreenw AT truelink.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: RPMs for upcoming release
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:36:32 -0700

I've attached the spec file and two shell scripts (csh and sh) to set
the SYBASE env var. The rpm drops these in /etc/profile.d
--Rich

Brian Bruns wrote:

> Well this is the most compelling argument I've heard for spliting
> them up. Plus, if we are going to have debs split up, we might as well do
> the same for rpms too I suppose.
>
> The spec file would be darn handy though. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian
>
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Richard C. Greenwood wrote:
>
> > I know it's been a little while since this was sent, but I'd like to
> > offer my input anyway. I've built rpms for freetds, DBD-Sybase, and php
> > with Sybase support, in addition to many others. I always prefer to
> > have the -devel stuff split out. Most of the time, the development is
> > done on one machine and deployed on another. The production machine
> > doesn't need the development stuff, so it doesn't get installed. I'll
> > send my spec file if anyone is interested. Your welcome to use it. ;)
> > --Rich
> >
> > Brian Bruns wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > In the past a number of people have submitted RPMs after the tarball
> > > release was made. Well this time we're going to do it up right. I've
> > > forced myself to learn RPM and I'll be building it at the same time as
> > > the
> > > 0.52 tarball.
> > >
> > > Which leads to my question. There seems to be two schools on this, a
> > > simple binary rpm, or one for binaries and a -devel one that has the
> > > header files and other developer goodies. Since, FreeTDS is basically
> > > used by people building things on top of it (PHP, Perl, etc...) and thus
> > > needs the headers to anything useful anyway, I'm leaning towards option
> > > one. But, as always, I'm interested in dissenting opinions for why we
> > > should adopt seperate packages.
> > >
> > > BTW, anyone using FreeTDS with Python who could say a few words about it
> > > for the User Guide?
> > >
> > > Brian
> > >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [rcgreenw-freetds AT slotechs.com]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to $subst('Email.Unsub')%define LIBVER 0.0.0
Name: freetds
Version: 0.51
Release: 2
Copyright: distributable
Group: Database/Libraries
Source0:
ftp://ftp.metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/%{name}-%{version}.tgz
Source1: freetds.csh
Source2: freetds.sh
Buildroot: /var/tmp/freetds-root

%package devel
Group: Development/Libraries
Requires: freetds

%description
The freetds package contains an implementation of the Sybase CT libraries.
It is compiled for TDS version 4.2. Use this if you need to connect to
a Sybase or MS SQL Server database.

%description devel
The freetds-devel package includes the header files and static libraries
necessary for developing programs which will use the freetds library.

Install this if you need to build the perl-DBD-Sybase module.

%prep
%setup

%build
configure \
--with-tdsver=4.2
make

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/{lib,include,bin,man/man1}
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/profile.d
make -e prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr install
#strip -R .comments $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/bin/* || :
cp $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/mssql $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/bin
cp $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/freetds.csh $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/freetds.sh \
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/profile.d

%post -p /sbin/ldconfig

%postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
%doc AUTHORS BUGS COPYING.LIB ChangeLog NEWS PWD README TODO doc/* interfaces
/usr/lib/*.so*
/etc/profile.d/freetds.csh
/etc/profile.d/freetds.sh

%files devel
%defattr(-,root,root)
%doc COPYING INSTALL
/usr/lib/*.a
/usr/lib/*.la
/usr/include/*.h

%changelog
* Wed Dec 27 2000 Richard C. Greenwood <rcgreenw AT truelink.com>
- fixed some missing files
- removed old LDCONFIG lines from profile.d scripts

* Tue Nov 21 2000 Richard C. Greenwood <rcgreenw AT truelink.com>
- updated for final 0.51 release

* Tue Nov 7 2000 Richard C. Greenwood <rcgreenw AT truelink.com>
- new package