freetds - Re: Proposed new FreeTDS configuration format

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Proposed new FreeTDS configuration format
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:11:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> > Windows doesn't cache the password, not really. Rather, it caches a
> > security token, acquired from some authentication source (local or
> > PDC), which it passes as necessary. This obviates the need for each
> > NT box to do authentication or even have accounts; your account at
> > the PDC is good enough for all members. But you knew that already.

> It's remarkably like Kerberos, except that they aren't interoperable.

With the exception that in a Kerberos domain, the client authenticates to the
domain server to retrieve a *time-limited*, cryptographically-verified token
to use as credentials when connecting to other servers, and in an NT domain,
the client uses the password directly. Underlying this difference, I
suspect we would find US export regulations.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer