freetds - Announcement: TDS Connection Pool Server checked in

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Announcement: TDS Connection Pool Server checked in
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:25:13 -0500 (EST)

Tonight I checked in code to CVS for the TDS connection pooling server
(tdspool) that I have been working on. It'll show up in src/pool when
doing a cvs update.

Here is an excerpt from the README file about what it does:

Introduction
------------
The purpose of the TDS Connection Pool is to share a limited number of
actual database connections among a larger group of virtual database
clients.

The advantages are twofold. First, a dataserver with a limited number of
licenses can be used with the tdspool program to support a large number
of client connections. For instance if you have a database with a 10
concurrent license limit and 35 Apache/PHP children, which access the
database infrequently, you could share those 10 real connections among
all the apache children.

Secondly, TDS Connection Pool acts as a sort of persistant connect for
it's clients. This works because logins to the connection pool are very
quick in comparision to logins into the dataserver. Connections to the
dataserver are maintained for the life of the tdspool program.

---------

That said, this version has some fairly substantial bugs and is prone to
crashing, but I figured I'd throw it out as sort of a 'preview' and let
people that had an interest hack on it.

It's not currently gnuified yet, so to build it run 'make' and hope for
the best! Also, there's lots o' hard coded values in pool.h that need to
be changed and compiled in and other such nonsense. Also it only supports
TDS 4.2, so expect weird behaviour if running a different version. It
probably only works on little endian boxes too. I could go on but you
most likely get the point by now.

The program is licensed under the GPL and uses both libtds and libtdssrv
both of which are, of course, still LGPL.

Enjoy,

Brian

  • Announcement: TDS Connection Pool Server checked in, Brian Bruns, 03/07/2001