freetds - large query redux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: large query redux
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:31:00 -0500 (EST)

Ok, this large query thing is still driving me crazy. Here's the senario
with SQL Server 7.0 GA release. The client (freetds ctlib or dblib)
requests a default packet size of 512. SQL Server responds with a
environment change from 4096 to 512 and all queries are sent with a block
size of 512 and everything works. This doesn't jive with what has been
reported on the list for SQL Server, so I'm wondering if MS has changed
the behaviour in service packs to 7.0 to force a larger block size on the
client. If so, the current code in CVS should work against both the GA
release and SP1+.

So can someone with the large query problem and 7.0 test the current CVS
code and report back? I'm anxious to have this thing settled.

I'm also considering creating a freetds.conf file to store defaults that
we are using environment variables for now and more, such as protocol
version, trace file locations, tcp port numbers, default charset, default
language, and initial block size. It's a bit of a departure from the
sybase way of doing things, but unless I hear otherwise, expect it in CVS
after the 0.51 release.

Brian

  • large query redux, Brian Bruns, 11/01/2000