freetds - JDBC, Transaction

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Schörk, Andreas" <andreas.schoerk AT infor.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: JDBC, Transaction
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:14:16 +0200

Hello,
I am thinking of using freetds_jdbc in our client-server environment.
I already made some changes to support BigDecimal-Parameters.
Now I am a little bit confused because it seems to me that Transactions
are statement-oriented not connection-oriented.
Worse, for each statement I create which means for each cursor to the
database
a new connection is created. So if I do changes on more than one cursors I
suspect the following situations:

- Can run into deadlocks, because the locks are maintened on separate
connections
- can get inconsistent commits because eventually on of the connections can
fail to
commit the changes.

Why are not more than one cursors created per connection ?
It would make the handling of the procedure-cache more effective as well.
I know about the problem with the only single existence of forward-only
cursors in
sql-server, but normaly it is overcome another way.

Is already anybody working at this issue, is this the right mailing list,
hope anybody hears it

Andreas

  • JDBC, Transaction, Schörk, Andreas, 10/16/2000