freetds - Re: Delay closing resultsets

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Fernando Lozano <fsl AT centroin.com.br>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Delay closing resultsets
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 21:04:19 -0300

Hi Brandon!

> > The only workaround I got so far is to call
> > Statement.setMaxRows(), but this way the user won't be able to see
> > all results, and this is not desirable.
> >
> > Any hints will be very apreciated.
>
> I don't know whether or not there is bug here, but I wrote a search
> engine and I had to address a similar issue. Since I'm using HTML
> to display my results, I just display a certain number of results
> at one time. I use 'SELECT TOP n name...' where n keeps growing as
> the user proceeds to look at more results. I just skip the rows that
> they have already seen by fetching them but tossing them.

You are using the same kind of workaround I am using. The difference
is that you used SQL syntax and I used JDBC API. I know the JDBC
workaround would still work if I switch to another database, but I
don't know if SELECT TOP n... is standard SQL.

Some databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) have a LIMIT clause which I know
SQL Server does not support.

[]s, Fernnado Lozano

  • Re: Delay closing resultsets, Stephanie Lewis, 10/01/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Delay closing resultsets, Fernando Lozano, 10/01/2000