freetds - RE: NetBSD, dblib, and TDS 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: NetBSD, dblib, and TDS 7.0
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:14:51 -0400

Title: RE: [freetds] RE: NetBSD, dblib, and TDS 7.0

Stephen (& Co.?):

By modifying one Makefile line to read:

        CONFIGURE_ARGS= --prefix=${PREFIX}/freetds --with-tdsver=7.0

and rebuilding and reinstalling, the sample code now works against my SQL Server.

The TDSVER variable has to be put in the FAQ!  It's magical.  If I set it to 50 I can talk to Sybase; if I set it to 70 I can talk to Microsoft.  Other combinations lead to the weary "Unknown marker" errors.

My goal is to get the perl Sybase::BCP module to work with freetds to load a Microsoft server.  As far as I can tell, no one creating those programs expected that precise arrangement, but it sure looks like it might work.  I'd rather do what you did and use DBI, but there's no bulk-load support in DBI.

Thanks again for your help.  Just knowing it "should oughta" work made it seem worth trying, and I doubt I would have discovered "export TDSVER=70" if you hadn't pointed it out.

--jkl