freetds - Re: Using ODBC on Linux to connect to MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Bruce Lynes <dlynes1 AT home.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Using ODBC on Linux to connect to MS SQL Server
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 02:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Craig Spannring wrote:

> Daniel Bruce Lynes writes:
> > On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Tomaz Borstnar wrote:
> >
> > However, if we want to it to work in a
> > low-memory environment, libc5 compatibility will be needed eventually
> and/or
> > Java2 compatibility for the JDBC driver.
>

> The FreeTDS JDBC driver is a type 4 driver, that is, written 100% in
> Java. It doesn't share any code with the FreeTDS C libraries.

Sorry...I should have made myself clearer. I was only hinting at an
alternative
to using the C-based ODBC under libc5 Linux. Java2 is a natural alternative,
given that a lot of embedded devices in the future will have Java2 embedded on
them, and possibly OCF and JNI. No need for Linux on such a system. So, I
was
suggesting that getting ODBC to work on libc5 was not a high priority for me.