freetds - Re: FreeTDS / PHP 3.0.16 Fails on Large Insert

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Rusty Conover <rconover AT zootweb.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS / PHP 3.0.16 Fails on Large Insert
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:43:50 -0600

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 00:15:15 Daniel Bruce Lynes wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Rusty Conover wrote:
>
> > I've fixed this problem by setting the TCP_NODELAY flag with setsockopt()
when
> > I open the TDS connection. After I set that socket option flag everything
works
> > with large queries.
>
> If you need to set the TCP_NODELAY, that suggests an error in the networking
> code. TCP_NODELAY should only be used in certain situations such as
> implementation of a telnet client. For general network applications, it
should
> never be used...all it serves to do is fragment bandwidth and annoy
sysadmins.

Hey, if you come up with a better solution let me know, but TCP_NODELAY does
serve a purpose here to get the SQL query sent to the server as
quickly as possible. I'd rather not wait for data coming from the server when
I'm serving a web page. Essentially this argument is six and one half dozen
the
other.

Rusty
Rusty Conover | rusty AT zootweb.com