freetds - Should I use FreeTDS JDBC Driver?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Stefan Hauth" <stefan.hauth AT aon.at>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: Should I use FreeTDS JDBC Driver?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:54:10

Sounds like a silly question, but I want to make some things clear
before I go thru the procedure of adapting my application.

I'm currently writing an application, which makes heavy use of
long strings. I'm using MS SQL Sever 7 and I go up to the limits
of its text fields ( somewhat about 8000 chars). Is this a problem
for FreeTDS JDBC? Is the JDBC Driver currently supporting TDS 7.0?

I'm now using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, but since it's not thread safe,
I produced a lot of deadlocks in the past. Can this be avoided by
FreeTDS?

Thanks in advance

stefan