freetds - Re: ODBC/inline driver ignores transactions.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Gene Sokolov" <hook AT aktrad.ru>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ODBC/inline driver ignores transactions.
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:07:40 +0400

I contacted Jon Pounder at Inline back then. He said that they were
planning to release the source soon. That was over 2 months ago.
My understanding is that the Inline ODBC driver was either abandoned or
went proprietary. Consequently, if anyone is interested in a functional ODBC
driver they should consider an independent effort.
The ODBC driver is actually a very simple thing. Take a skeleton for
free (for example from PostgreSQL) and add FreeTDS meat. It would take
probably no more than 2 weeks to write a working driver. I personally lost
interest - we simply ported our stuff straight to FreeTDS. The ODBC soure at
ftp://freetds.internetcds.com/pub/freetds_odbc/
can be a good start. It has no functionality, but it has stubs for all
required functions.
As for the transactions in inline driver - I think Inline simply forgot
to change BEGIN TRANSACTION (which, I believe, was in the original code -
valid for PostgreSQL) to just BEGIN. It might be possible to use a binary
editor to just change it to a right thing.

Gene Sokolov.

From: "Daniel Bruce Lynes" <dlynes1 AT home.com>
> On 04/25/00, ""Gene Sokolov" <hook AT aktrad.ru>" wrote:
> > Seems like the TDS 1.01 ODBC driver from inline.net (dated 22-mar-2000)
does
> > not support transactions (SQLTransact). It also does not return the
number
> > of affected rows. Can someone please confirm that? It's great that
inline is
> > providing a free driver, but release notes with explanations on what's
> > supported and what's not would save a lot of time.
> >
> > Inline: what are the plans for the source release? What are the plans
for
> > supporting transactions? Is it possible to buy the driver with
SQLTransact
> > implemented?
>
> SQLTransact() is not currently implemented, afaik. I downloaded the
latest
> update from CVS today, and it still does not seem to be implemented.
> However, I've made some extensive modifications to the ODBC driver. It
was
> completely useless in its current state.
>
> However, I've almost finished making enough changes to it so that even the
> simplest of applications can use it.
>
> I haven't done anything about SQLTransact(), however.
>
> I'm currently working on it with the newest Sybase ASE server for the
Linux