freetds - freetds, php4 (& cvs to this date), for mssql 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Wylie Swanson <wswanson AT storerunner.com>
  • To: "'php-dev AT lists.php.net'" <php-dev AT lists.php.net>
  • Cc: "'camber AT ais.org'" <camber AT ais.org>, "'John.Woolbright AT omegafi.com'" <John.Woolbright AT omegafi.com>, "'freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: freetds, php4 (& cvs to this date), for mssql 7.0
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:08:13 -0700

John> any luck with getting the folks at zend of php.net to take a look at
the
John> problem you were having with sybase support. I am using mssql server
John> 7.0 on nt with php 4.0 on linux and i am getting tons of these memory
John> leaks. in fact many scripts do not complete, you hit reload and they
John> complete. i have been trying to get someone at zend to look at this
John> issue and i wanted to see if you had had any more info that might
John> helpful. I saw your posting on freetds mailing list.
John>
John> Thanks
John>
John> John Woolbright
John> John.Woolbright AT omegafi.com

No, unfortunately for us (who lack the debugging skills to actually solve
the problem) we can only report and hope to receive some positive response
that assures us time and time again that open source projects are excellent.

Brian Bruns, author/maintainer of FreeTDS tracked it down to the Zend
library, and unfortunately, I believe that's all he had time for -- but I'll
go ahead and reissue your feedback (and some of my own :-) to let everyone
know we still care. And just in case, someone who might wish to empower us
with the "right tool for the job" (duh, PHP) enough to take a look at these
bugs, it would be most excellent. :)

"When programmers on the Internet can read, redistribute, and modify the
source for a piece of software, it evolves. People improve it, people adapt
it, people fix bugs. And this can happen at a speed that, if one is used to
the slow pace of conventional software development, seems astonishing."
-- http://www.opensource.org

Oh, btw, the bugs. :)

http://bugs.php.net/
3690 Reproduceable crash Open RedHat 6.1 mssql_fetch_row causes seg fault
4502 Sybase (dblib) related Open sybase_fetch_row stops before getting all
rows
4512 Sybase (dblib) related Open Linux 2.2.14-5.0smp leaks
Sybase/MSSQL/FreeTDS

Best regards,

Wylie