freetds - Re: interfaces file

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: interfaces file
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:59:06 -0800 (PST)

Brian Bruns writes:
> Great idea on the .interfaces file. But, could it check that prior to
> checking $SYBASE/interfaces, that would be more in line with other unix
> programs, and would allow a user to override a host setting, a desirable
> thing.

Yes, it must have been late when I wrote that. The $HOME/.interface
file should be searched before the the system ones.

> My other question would be if it doesn't find the server in the interfaces
> file and trys to use it as a hostname where does it get the port
> number?

There are a few options of possibilities

1) It can default to port 1433 if compiled with -DTDS42 or the
default Sybase port otherwise. (Hopefully there aren't too
many people using old copies of Sybase.)
2) It could look at an environment variable. (Perhaps DBLIB_PORT?)
3) Something entirely different.
4) Some combination of the first three.

BTW- What is the default port that Sybase uses?

> But it sounds good. The interfaces file support is sort of broken. It
> needs to support name lookup, (right now it just accepts an IP addr,
> IIRC).

You do recall correctly. I'll could take care of that when add the
changes for the interfaces file.

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Ski hard, Bike fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently perverted technology is indistinguishable from Perl.