freetds - Re: Does anyone know what this packet means?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Does anyone know what this packet means?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:17:03 -0700 (PDT)

Brian Bruns writes:
> I don't know if this will help or not, but return results usually have a
> size for variable data or the data alone for fixed length data, thus 0
> could indicate a length of 0 or null.

I think I've got the stored procedure calls figured out (for TDS 4.2).
If anyone out there knows for sure if this is right or wrong please
let me know.

The packet type in the 8 byte header is 0x03. The data in the packet
is-

1 byte variable 4 bytes variable 1byte 1byte variable
1byte 1byte variable

+---------------------------------------------+------+-------+----------+------+-------+
+--------+
| procname | procname | unknown1 | param1 | 0x00 | 0x00 | param2 |
0x00 | 0x00 | ... | paramN |
| length | | | | | | |
| | | |

+---------------------------------------------+------+-------+----------+------+-------+
+--------+

The 4 unknown bytes seem to always be 0x00.

The two 0x00 bytes that separate each parameter are somewhat confusing.
They seem to be a complete waste of data. Perhaps I'm missing
something here.

The parameters seem to be of the form

1 byte 1 byte 1 byte variable
+----------+-----------+--------+---------+
| variable | maximum | actual | data |
| length | possible | length | |
| datatype | length | | |
+----------+-----------+--------+---------+

or
1 byte
| fixed | data |
| length | |
| datatype | |

The datatype byte comes from the SYB* definitions in tds.h

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Ski hard, Bike fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently perverted technology is indistinguishable from Perl.