freetds - Re: freetds-0.21 (fwd)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mihai Ibanescu <misa AT dntis.ro>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds-0.21 (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:46:05 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Brian Bruns wrote:

> On 09/03/98, "Mihai Ibanescu <misa AT dntis.ro>" wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Brian Bruns wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The autoconf looks good, just a couple of minor issues.
> > >
> > > 1) Versions: I've upped this to version 0.3, there were enough changes
> > > justify this, especially with gnuification (?) This version also
> > > includes Greggs long query fix. It's it the normal place:
> > >
> > > ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/freetds-0.3.tgz
> >
> > That's correct. But the version upgrade could be done only by the
> > authors. Maybe it's room to talk about the version numbering here. I don't
> > know if it's OK to skip from 0.22 to 0.3, maybe to 0.30. Or to mark devel
> > versions something like 0.2-2 or 0.2.2, then we could skip to 0.3. This is
> > because if I RPM package it for RedHat systems, I believe rpm will think
> > 0.22 is newer than 0.3 (and not only rpm is the problem). Maybe I'm wrong.
> >
> I was thinking of following the Gnome-type numbering...ie .22 is the 22nd
> pre-1.0 version. This way we don't have to worry that .3 is 30% done or
> some such.

So, why 0.3 and not 0.30, to mark the 30th devel version?

> > > 3) The lib directory...most programs built against open client expect a
> > > $SYBASE/lib directory. It appears everything is going into
> > > $SYBASE/src/[dir]/.libs ? I could be mistaken on this one.
> >
> > Well, one could force it to install there:
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds
> > export SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds
> >
> > If it's going to be like this, probably another thing to write in
> > the FAQ. Otherwise, have to read more to find out how to change the
> > default prefix. Probably I'll have to define prefix=/usr/local/freetds in
> > the config.in.
>
> This really should be the default...sqsh at least wants a structure like
> that.
>
> The important files/directories that would be expected in $SYBASE:
> $SYBASE/interfaces
> $SYBASE/include
> $SYBASE/lib
>
> And I'm probably forgetting a couple (like locales if we get to this
> someday).

To make it default is really easy.

> > > 5) BSDI...I get an error making on a BSDI machine in the dblib
> > > directory,
> > > the error message follows, (possibly assuming GMake?)
> > >
> > > make: don't know how to make /%,. Stop
> >
> > I think it's because a non-GNU make.
> >
> We will most likely be facing this on all the non-free OSes. We need to
> properly detect this.

Wait a minute. autoconf is a GNU tool, and non-free OSes don't
have it. Sun's cc sucks, so most of the people use gcc. _And_ most of the
people use GNU make (_not_ gmake). IMHO, if I use autoconf, automake and
libtool, I should use GNU tools.
Brian, sorry... when you build a package, just type `make dist';
this way, the sources won't be compiled in the package. I was amazed how
much the 0.3 version grew compared to 0.22... :-) autoconf is really cool
because it lets one build packages without having the concern of not
copying object files etc.
0.31 will be up in a couple of hours with some fixes. But I
_really_ needed to say this.

best wishes,

Mihai

Mihai Ibanescu Dynamic Network Technologies
http://sysadm.dntis.ro/~misa Moara de Foc 35, et. 7, 6600 Iasi
misa AT dntis.ro tel. +40-32-252936