coolfruit - [CoolFruitIbib] Hello

coolfruit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A list for people who research, grow and love rare fruit. Focus on rare temperate fruits: their identification, botany, preservation, and culture.

  • From: "Kathryn Mathews" <kathmath AT charterinternet.com>
  • To: "Cool Fruit" <coolfruit AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [CoolFruitIbib] Hello
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:48:58 -0500

Hi folks,
This is my first post.  I live on average size town lot in Northfield, Minnesota (south central, MN zone 4).  I haven't got a lot of room, so I've planted one or two of a lot of things to see what I like and what works.  So far the only thing I'm eating a lot of fruit from is clove currants.  I've got some sorbus crosses (Ivan's Beauty and Ivan's Belle) that I don't like much (too mealy).  I've got some honeyberries that are promising, but haven't given a lot of fruit.  I think the cold springs we have been having lately might have something to do with that.  I just planted some nannyberries.  I have one cornelian cherry that has flowered but not fruited for 7 years.  I guess I need to plant another for pollination.  Does anybody have suggestions?  I've just planted a rhus aromatica (fragrant sumac).  Does anybody use the fruit?  I've also just planted a bladder nut (staphylia trifola).  Does anybody use the nuts?  I'm planning on putting in a serviceberry or two.  The named varieties of alnifolia haven't done well, so I'm considering canadensis, arborea or laevis.  Does anybody in my area have suggestions?  Thank you.
Kathryn Mathews
Northfield, Minnesota

This notice is required by IRS Circular 230, which regulates written communications about federal tax matters between tax advisors and their clients.  To the extent the preceding correspondence and/or any attachment is a written tax advice communication, it is not a full “covered opinion.”  Accordingly, this advice is not intended and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS.

  • [CoolFruitIbib] Hello, Kathryn Mathews, 08/27/2009