compostteas - [Compostteas] Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #82 - 4 msgs

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: William Kruidenier <williamk AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #82 - 4 msgs
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:38:32 -0400

Title: Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #82 - 4 msgs

Can any recommend a good airquarium air pump or small compressor for running a large air stone (48" flexible hose) in a 175 gallong CT machine?

Peter Young

Peter,

I use a Whitewater Linear Air Pump (model LT19 in the Aquatic Ecosystems catalog). It consumes 51 watts at 2psi and pumps 2.5 cubic feet per air of minute. I have three Sweetwater 6 inch air diffusers connected to it (also from Aquatic Ecosystems).

I don't know much about all those technical numbers, but here's what it does:

I brew tea in a 30 gallon rubber trash can and if I put all three diffusers in there at once it makes the surface of the water look like a hurricane. I believe I could line up three 30 gallon brewers side by side and put one diffuser in each and provide plenty of air for each brewer. This things generates LOTS of air and the diffusers produce gazillions of tiny bubles. With just one diffuser in the 30 gallon tank there is a steady and gentle roll of air bubles at the surface.

There are three more Whitewater pumps available like mine only in progressively stronger models, pumping up to 5 cubic feet of air per minute (the LT28). If the LT19 wasn't adequate for a 175 gallon tank (it comes with a gang valve with 12 outlets on it so you could theoretically run 12 diffusers off the pump, though obviously pressure will drop the more you add), perhaps one of their larger models would work. If you're using a flexible hose you could just attach it to the pump instead of using diffusers. However, I was told the pump can be damaged long term if the outlet is not sufficient to release all the air the pump is generating so the pump is, in effect, getting backed up, overheating, etc., by creating more air pressure than the diffuser system can release. That's why it was helpful for them to match up the diffusers with the pump since they know how much air volume the various size stones will diffuse.

You can see the Whitewater pumps at http://www.aquaticeco.com or call and talk to one of their tech folks for more info (877-347-4788). When I called they didn't know anything about brewing compost tea but when I described what I was trying to do they were able to suggest various pieces that I could use now and grow into when I expand.

Hope that helps.

William K.