compostteas - [Compostteas] Aphids on mint

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Soil Foodweb, Inc." <info AT soilfoodweb.com>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Aphids on mint
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:20:26 -0500

Aphids, or any insects on the leaf surfaces, have been
observed to be less prevalent after use of compost tea. But
this is anecdotal evidence only. I would love to have the
funding to do some replicated scientific studies to document
that compost tea, or what recipe of compost tea, or which
bacterial or fungal species, are insect-deterrents.

There is a fungal inoculum that SFI and EPM have worked with
a bit that if it is growing and contacts an insect, has the
enzymes to chew through the cuticle or outside skeleton of
an insect and turn the insect into a huge culture of that
fungus. It is spread from insect to insect by contact.

The fungus will germinate and grow in compost tea, as will
many of the beneficial fungi.

The fungus is then actively growing when it contacts the
insects on your plant, and so far, the results have been to
see marked decreases in insect numbers. Works in water
too. Have to get the right fungal species that grows on
mosquito larvae, however.

Work every time? I didn't say that. Only said that we've
seen it work in look-see cases. Lots of science yet to be
done to make any kind of claim. Just telling you about some
one-time observations.

Contact EPM, or www.composttea.com

Fungi Perfecti (www.fungiperfecti.com) also has a list of
fungal species that do very interesting things to insects,
such as taking out fire ants, or termites. Paul Stametz has
been isolating and testing the cultures. But many of these
fungi will grow in compost tea. After pouring the tea down
the ant or termite hole, in about three to seven days, the
entire colony turns into one big fungal fuzzball. Work
every time? Don't know. Data are needed.

Elaine Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc.

  • [Compostteas] Aphids on mint, Soil Foodweb, Inc., 06/18/2002