compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] Re: compost baskets and screens

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <laura_s AT vaxxine.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Re: compost baskets and screens
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:09:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <laura_s AT vaxxine.com>
To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 10:08 PM
Subject: [Compostteas] Re: compost baskets and screens

> I believe the maximum size of microbes that we are hoping to bred was
> posted as being 70 microns ? If so what mesh size does that equate to ?

A table with mesh---inch---micron conversions is at:

http://www.okstate.edu/OSU_Ag/agedcm4h/pearl/e951/e951ch4.htm

But see also:

http://www.twpinc.com/def.html

for even more details.

According to the chart, 200 mesh screen gives you about 74 micron openings,
but the problem is that many of our crobes get attached to each other and to
particulate matter, so it is nice and more effective to operate at a much
larger size, as I understand things. That helps us to 'get the floc out of
there'! ;-)

We were able to use strained tea and to remove the intake strainer from the
pump, with a large nozzled boom sprayer, but I will be testing this
possibility with the ten nozzled orchard tower sprayer Stefan built for the
first time tomorrow in the early AM.

Will report back tomorrow nite.

Must sleep now, visions of spray patterns and merry microbes are dancing in
my head.....

:-)

Frank Teuton