compostteas - [Compostteas] Fungi & keeping the tea.

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Fungi & keeping the tea.
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:21:27 +1000

Another question for Elaine and others:-
Although my last CT test showed 18.8 total fungi, I'm wondering if I can
improve on this by finding more sources of fungi to start with.

You say that springtails are fungal feeders so does that mean that where I
see 1000's of the little fellows springing about there are also lots of
fungi, even though I can't see the white threads or hyphae? When I lift the
hay mulch the springtails are there by the 1000's, so I'm wondering if I
should put that hay in the "hay teabag" and a couple of kg's of soil from
the top two inches of the soil in the "compost tea bag" and thereby
"capturing" lots of fungi. Once extracted they can then feed on the humic
acid, seaweed and rockdust in the tank. Am I on the right track???

In an old forest nearby, I found lots of fungal threads under the litter but
no springtails. I'm puzzled by this. Can those threads be harvested and
multiplied in the tea?

In a pile old wood chips (it was dumped there 18 months ago and not used) I
found springtails and fungi together. This is what I used in the tea which
had 18.8 total fungi.

Scott Alexander

PS. I can't remember if I told the group that the leaf disease I'm trying
to suppress is a rust specific to daylilies:- puccinia hemerocalidae

Supposing I want to keep some of the tea so I can spray it on the diseased
leaves 5 to 7 days later, will it still be OK if I strain some tea into a 20
litre bucket and keep it aerated with an aquarium aerator during that time?
What about the temperature? The nights are beginning to get cold (7 to 10
Celsius).

  • [Compostteas] Fungi & keeping the tea., Scott Alexander, 05/23/2002